Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that plays a host of important roles in the body from boosting the immune system, modulating the stress response to protecting the human body against infections and disease including the cold and flu, allergies, heart and circulatory disease, stroke, depression, stress, fatigue, cancer and other degenerative diseases. It is also plays an important role in the production of collagen and elastin, reduction of skin discolouration and is thus important for anti-aging and skin health.
It is an essential vitamin, which means that it can’t be synthesized by the body and hence needs to be obtained from the diet. It has a variety of functions in the body and has been linked to impressive health benefits.
Vitamin C and Cancer Treatment
Research has shown that:
- High levels of vitamin C in the blood selectively kill cancer cells but protect normal cells.
- Enhances the cancer-killing effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Reduces the severity of unwanted cancer symptoms and side-effects of cancer treatment.
(Less fatigue, nausea, vomiting, pain and loss of appetite)
- Strengthens the immune system and healing ability.
- Helps sustain healthy function and wellbeing after treatment.
Improves quality of life and longevity for those living with cancer